In simple words, gaming engines for Android and iOS are the basis of games, the “skeleton” on which various details are built up during the development process. However, there are much more complex aspects behind such a simple definition. In fact, one such ecosystem combines several software systems responsible for various actions within one project. It can be:
- graphic visualization;
- sound design;
- characters’ and NPCs’ movements;
- physical effects;
- logic and scripts, and much more.
All this makes engines and platforms one of the most difficult programs to write. The system should be perfectly “calibrated” to give users the best possible experience.
If you’re a keen enough gamer or developer, when comparing two projects made on the same platform, you may notice some similarities in basic things, such as how the main characters aim their weapons or go down the mountains. At the same time, an inexperienced viewer will probably not notice them since such things are usually “veiled” with a different design so that the resemblance is not striking at all. This is how unique game worlds are created.
Using an engine or platform to develop mobile apps has many benefits for publishers and developer companies:
- convenient tools with extensive libraries remove the need to write basic code;
- thanks to it, developers have the opportunity to focus on design, graphics, story, and mechanics;
- advanced engines allow you to create multi-platform products;
- such software can be reused to develop other titles;
- all this significantly saves time, money, and human resources;
- as a rule, ready-made solutions have user communities where you can be advised on how to utilize specific tools;
- you can see the result of the work of other developers on a particular engine or platform and understand how it suits you.
The best mobile game engines provide programmers with flexible and integrated environments to accelerate production, which is essential in an increasingly competitive industry. Now it is important not only to build a quality product but also to do it quickly enough, ahead of rivals.
Besides, it is vital to know how to present your game in the most profitable way on the main app stores. We know everything about it and share our knowledge and experience with novice developers in our Blog and Academy. If you want to upgrade your visuals and get your app to the top of the best, check out our experts’ article “App Store Tips for App and Mobile Game Icon, Screenshots, and Videos
.” Remember that optimization and marketing play crucial roles in increasing your visibility and discoverability.